This cross was painted as part of the first fresco cycle at some point between 1058 and 1095. It is located on the eastern spandrel in the south aisle of the church.
This figure faces east opposite the female saint with uncovered hair in the westernmost arch of the south arcade. A Syriac inscription identifies her as St. Julia and this picture was taken before the painting was cleaned and consolidated.
The evangelist Mark is on the western spandrel of the southern arcade of the nave and clearly identifiable by inscription. The damaged ring around the head of the figure was caused by an attempt to steal this portion of the fresco which appears to have been disturbed.
This east-facing equestrian saint above the western spandrel of the southern arcade is popularly believed to have been St. George. Only the bottom of a white horse crossing a fish-filled sea is still extant.
This figure faces west under the most westerly arch of the southern arcade. The identification is unclear, but this is the only female saint to be shown with her hair uncovered and appears to represent an aristocratic or imperial figure. This picture was taken shortly before the painting was cleaned and consolidated.
This saint faces St. Elizabeth as a west facing image underneath the central arch on the southern arcade. The bottom part dates from the third level of fresco, but the top section is more damaged and the first cycle is revealed. This picture was taken before the painting was cleaned and consolidated.
St. Elizabeth faces east underneath the central arch of the southern arcade. This image was taken shortly before the fresco was cleaned.
This figure faces south and is on the northern pier adjoining the west wall. The figure is wearing the distinctive monastic hood of a Syrian Orthodox monk and carries a cross with one hand raised in blessing. The Syriac inscription is too damaged for the saint to be identified. Above the saint are people who are presumed to be members of pagan cults destined for hell.
This fresco of Samson and the lion dates from the first level of painting and was therefore painted between 1058 and 1095. In this picture it is partially cleaned and that process was completed shortly after this image was taken. It is located on the north side of the southern aisle of the church and faces the viewer as they enter the church.
This picture of St. John the Baptist was taken shortly before the fresco was cleaned and consolidated in the summer of 2003 and is located facing east on the pillar adjoining the west wall.