- Collection: Deir Mar Musa al-Habashi
The fragmentary remains on the stone lower half of the iconostasis is believed to represent the parable of the wise and foolish virgins (Matthew 25), which is commemorated in the Syrian Orthodox Church by the feast of Nahireh on the evening of Palm Sunday.
This fresco of Samson and the lion dates from the first level of painting and was therefore painted between 1058 and 1095. In this picture it is partially cleaned and that process was completed shortly after this image was taken. It is located on the north side of the southern aisle of the church and faces the viewer as they enter the church.
St. Bacchus is located on the south arcade and is believed to have faced St. Sergius across the nave, but the equestrian saint opposite has been almost entirely destroyed. He faces east and rides towards the direction in which Christ will reappear at the time of the Last Judgement.
The south west corner of the chapel with a depiction of the equestrian St. Bacchus above a collection of saints ascending to heaven as they are on the side of the elect on the Last Judgement scene that dominates the west wall of the chapel. To the east of St. Bacchus is a small unidentified saint squeezed between the arch and a window.
St. Catherine is well-preserved and is the east-facing saint on the westernmost arch of the northern arcade. This picture was taken before the fresco was cleaned.
St. Elizabeth faces east underneath the central arch of the southern arcade. This image was taken shortly before the fresco was cleaned.
This east-facing equestrian saint above the western spandrel of the southern arcade is popularly believed to have been St. George. Only the bottom of a white horse crossing a fish-filled sea is still extant.
This picture of St. John the Baptist was taken shortly before the fresco was cleaned and consolidated in the summer of 2003 and is located facing east on the pillar adjoining the west wall.
This figure faces east opposite the female saint with uncovered hair in the westernmost arch of the south arcade. A Syriac inscription identifies her as St. Julia and this picture was taken before the painting was cleaned and consolidated.
The figure facing the nave on the south east pillar of the church is clearly labelled in Syriac 'Mar Julyano Sobo' or St. Julian the Old Man. This is the same figure as St. Julian of the East or 'Mar Elian esh Sharqi' which was the dedication of the monastery in Qaryatayn, approximately 45 kilometres away and which was destroyed by IS in August 2015.
Tags: 1207/08, An Nabk, Church, Deir Mar Musa, Deir Mar Musa al-Habashi, Fresco, Mar Elian, Mar Elian esh-Sharqi, Mar Musa al-Habashi, Mar Yulyano Sobo, Monastery, Qaryatayn, St. Julian of the East, St. Julian the Old Man, Syria, Syriac, Syriac Inscription, Syrian Civil War