A series of man-made caves that have been excavated for use as funerary chambers and that are located to the south and west of Urfa Citadel.
Abraham's Fishponds (Balikli Göl), viewed from Urfa Citadel.
View of Justinian's C6th aqueduct looking across from the Millet Bridge.
Ulu Cami is the great mosque of Urfa and was built 1170-1175. It is believed by some legends to be the site where the Mandylion was thrown down a well and has been associated with the ancient church of St. Stepanos.
The Syrian Orthodox Church of SS. Peter and Paul has dedicatory inscriptions dated 1861 on the west entrance but appears to include elements of an older church. It is now called the Vali Kemalettin Gazezoğlu Cultural Centre.
Entrance to Urfa citadel, the man-made moat cut around the eastern and southern sides of the Citadel and the remaining standing architecture in the interior, including the two C3rd columns. There is also evidence of classical spolia reused in various sections of the citadel.
The heart of Urfa is a garden and complex of religious buildings around pools of sacred fish, believed to have been holy to Abraham and called locally Balikli Göl.
Mosaic in a side room with the central image stolen. Villa of the Amazons, Halepli Bahçe, C5th-C6th.
A side room with a raised dais, geometric mosaic and a stone relief. Villa of the Amazons, Halepli Bahçe, C5th-C6th.
Mosaic with scene of a tiger. Villa of the Amazons, Halepli Bahçe, C5th-C6th.