This cross was painted as part of the first fresco cycle at some point between 1058 and 1095. It is located on the eastern spandrel in the south aisle of the church.
This fresco of Samson and the lion dates from the first level of painting and was therefore painted between 1058 and 1095. In this picture it is partially cleaned and that process was completed shortly after this image was taken. It is located on the north side of the southern aisle of the church and faces the viewer as they enter the church.
Inscriptions on the outside of the church reveal it was built in the 11th century to house a piece of the True Cross that had been brought back as a gift from Constantinople. This substantial church was largely intact until 1957 when, during a storm, half of the superstructure collapsed. The other half is incredibly unstable and access to it is now blocked for that reason. Scaffolding has been employed in what appears to be an attempt to hold the remaining half up.
The Church of the Holy Archangels in Iprari village in the Kala community in Svaneti has a fresco cycle painted by the artist Tevdoré at the end of the C11th. It includes a Deesis in the apse.
Manglisi Sioni church dates back to the C5th and was extended and altered up until the C11th. It was initially centrally planned, but has changed shape significantly over time including the addition of a porch at the west end and another narthex, with a small chapel/shrine open to the elements on one side to the south of the church.
Alaverdi monastery is one of the sites associated with the Thirteen (As)Syrian Fathers and remains one of the most important religious sites in Georgia. It is located in Kakheti in the east of the country, a region dominated by wine production and the monastery is known for its wine. The church is C11th and the walled monastery complex dates from the C17th.
Svetiskhoveli is the national cathedral of Georgia and translates as the "Life-giving Pillar". The foundational legend of the church says that a Georgian Jew named Elias bought Christ's cloak from the soldier who had drawn lots for it. On his return to Mtskheta he was met by his sister Sidonia who died on embracing the cloak. She was buried holding the cloak and an oak tree grew out of her grave. When St. Nino evangelised Georgia she had the tree cut down and made into seven columns for a new church but the seventh hovered above the earth and displayed miraculous powers before finally being lowered into its place.
The current cathedral dates from the C11th and is built on the foundations of a series of earlier church buildings. It includes a (stone) pillar associated with the miraculous origins of the church and a medieval replica of the Holy Sepulchre within it.
Tags: Architecture, C11th, Cathedral, Christ, Church, Elias, Fresco, Georgia, Holy Sepulchre, Jerusalem, Jew, Middle Ages, Mtskheta, Sculpture, Shida Kartli, Sidonia, St. Nino, Svetiskhoveli
Samtavro is the place just outside the ancient settlement of Mtskheta where St. Nino is believed to have lived. A small chapel thought to have C4th origins stands beside a bush which Georgians believe to replicate the burning bush witnessed by Moses in the Sinai desert. The C11th church beside the chapel of St. Nino was the place of burial for a number of Georgian kings and queens, most significantly King Mirian I and Queen Nana historically the first Christian rulers of the country. The belltower in the complex is C13th.