Inscriptions on the outside of the church reveal it was built in the 11th century to house a piece of the True Cross that had been brought back as a gift from Constantinople. This substantial church was largely intact until 1957 when, during a storm, half of the superstructure collapsed. The other half is incredibly unstable and access to it is now blocked for that reason. Scaffolding has been employed in what appears to be an attempt to hold the remaining half up.
Date of Visit
6th May 2015
Metadata and all media released under Creative Commons unless otherwise indicated
Joshua Bryant, “Church of the Redeemer,” Architecture and Asceticism, accessed July 16, 2018, http://architectureandasceticism.exeter.ac.uk/items/show/503.