Search using this query type:



Search only these record types:

Item
Collection
Exhibit
Exhibit Page
Simple Page

Advanced Search

  • Collection: Ani

15 Items

Ani Cathedral

Inscriptions on its outer faces give us the origins of the cathedral. Construction work began in 989 AD and after a brief hiatus in work was completed in 1001 AD. The city was captured in 1064 by the Turks who converted the cathedral into a mosque. It was restored to its Christian usage in 1124.
It has been significantly damaged in recent years by the use of explosives at a nearby mine on the Armenian side of the border. As a result significant sections of the Cathedral are now being supported by metal brackets.
Traces of the frescos that covered the Cathedral can still be seen in the whitewashed apse.

Type: Architecture
Tags: , , , , ,

Church of Mijnaberd

Remains of the church are to be found in the old city on the citadel mound. Church in poor state of repair with much seemingly lost within the last 150 years.

Type: Architecture
Tags: , , ,

Church of St Gregory of King Gagik

Built during the reign of King Gagik in the late 10th and early 11th centuries AD and intended to be a copy of the cathedral of Zvartnots (in modern day Armenia). The architect of the Ani cathedral was commissioned to build Gagik's church but flaws in its design meant it was very unstable. Attempts to strengthen the church failed and it collapsed not long after. Gagik's famous church was lost until the excavations of Nikolai Marr revealed it's location.
Sadly due to time constraints further investigation and collection of images of this church were not possible during my visit.

Type: Architecture
Tags: , , , ,

Church of St Gregory the Abughamrents

A small but well preserved church on the western edge of the plateau the city occupied. Believed to be late tenth century and to have been commissioned by Prince Grigor Pahlavuni. Interior used to be frescoed but was later whitewashed.

Type: Architecture
Tags: , , ,

Church of St. Gregory of Tigran Honents

An inscription on the Eastern wall of the church tells us that the church was built by a wealthy merchant, Tigran Honents, in 1215 AD. At the time Ani was under Georgian control and the church is believed to have been Georgian orthodox originally with the impressive and well preserved frescos within speculated as having been painted by Georgian artists.

Type: Architecture
Tags: , , , , , ,

Church of the Apostles

The remains of the Church of the Apostles. The structure appears very unstable hence why no images of the interior were taken during my visit.

Type: Architecture
Tags: , , , ,

Church of the Redeemer

Inscriptions on the outside of the church reveal it was built in the 11th century to house a piece of the True Cross that had been brought back as a gift from Constantinople. This substantial church was largely intact until 1957 when, during a storm, half of the superstructure collapsed. The other half is incredibly unstable and access to it is now blocked for that reason. Scaffolding has been employed in what appears to be an attempt to hold the remaining half up.

Type: Architecture
Tags: , , ,

Citadel and the old city

Photographs of remains of the older portion of the city and the citadel of Ani. As well as defences the citadel is home to several churches and a palace. The images of the churches can be found in their own separate folders within the "Ani" collection.

Type: Architecture
Tags: , , , , ,

Ebu'l Manucher Mosque

The date of construction of this mosque are debated but the minaret predates the current mosque. Formerly used as the Museum of Ani by excavator Nikolai Marr.

Type: Architecture
Tags: , ,

General views of Ani and immediate surroundings

These are just general views of what remains of the city of Ani. These vistas of the city were taken from multiple vantage points around the city.

Type: Archaeological Site
Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Output Formats

atom | dcmes-xml | json | omeka-json | omeka-xml | rss2