An inscription on the Eastern wall of the church tells us that the church was built by a wealthy merchant, Tigran Honents, in 1215 AD. At the time Ani was under Georgian control and the church is believed to have been Georgian orthodox originally with the impressive and well preserved frescos within speculated as having been painted by Georgian artists.
Date of Visit
16th May 2015
Metadata and all media released under Creative Commons unless otherwise indicated
Joshua Bryant, “Church of St. Gregory of Tigran Honents,” Architecture and Asceticism, accessed May 19, 2019, http://architectureandasceticism.exeter.ac.uk/items/show/505.