This small exhibition space was established in the restored room north of the tower at Mar Elian and held the fragments of Byzantine reliquaries found during the excavations, along with ceramic and glass objects. This included a number of C19th amphorae that had been uncovered west of the 1938 church and which environmental analysis revealed had held wine or grape molasses.
Date of Visit
Metadata and all media released under Creative Commons unless otherwise indicated
Emma Loosley, “Dayr Mar Elian Museum,” Architecture and Asceticism, accessed May 19, 2019, http://architectureandasceticism.exeter.ac.uk/items/show/402.