The madrasa is an Islamic school that was built by Nur al-Din (1118-1174) on the apse of the former Byzantine cathedral of Aleppo. The capitals are very close stylistically to those at Qalat Seman, suggesting that the church was originally built in the second half of the fifth century. Beside the steps down into the madrasa is a large basalt block inscribed with Christian symbols and some Syriac words. Its placement seems designed to underline Islamic supremacy over the former Christian owners of the site.
Date of Visit
1st December 1992 to 1st January 1970
Cherryl & Richmond Hunt
Metadata and all media released under Creative Commons unless otherwise indicated
Emma Loosley, “Madrasa Halawiyeh,” Architecture and Asceticism, accessed November 14, 2018, http://architectureandasceticism.exeter.ac.uk/items/show/203.